Saturday, December 3, 2011

Ladder Christmas Tree


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around our place.  For years I've put up a "traditional" tree ~ and was looking to do something different.  This year, after seeing a ladder tree photo floating around on Pinterest, I was mildly toying with giving it a try.  Additionally, I had a conversation with some friends, Angie and Keith, who have used a ladder Christmas tree for years.  This was the kick in the pants I needed to go for it.  I kinda thought I might get a little push back from the fam, but after pitching the idea to my hubby and my youngest ~ they both surprisingly said "let's do it."  


We ended up wrapping each leg with strands of lights ~ that was Nate's job.  Thankfully, he doesn't seem to mind too much.  Probably, next go round I'll buy white corded lights, but this year, I'm just using what we had.  At night, you really don't notice the lovely green cords.  :)  I also placed glass votive candles on each rung.  It's reminiscent of how people used to decorate trees with actual candles. 


I hung vintage balls and snowflake ornaments throughout the ladder, with mono filament.



So Pretty ~



The crowning touch ~ a capriz shell star I already had ~ perfect.




I love that there's plenty of space for presents to fit under the tree.  In due time, there will be pretty packages filling the empty spot.  The ladder tree went up much easier than a traditional tree ~ and decorating it was a breeze.  We're well on our way to enjoying a simply wonderful Christmas!  Hoping you have a relaxing weekend.

14 comments :

  1. Dana, I LOVE your ladder tree! It's so sweet, so pretty, so inspiring. The way you've hung the ornaments, and added tealights - wow, wow, wow! Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not very creative, but I do have a knack for stealing others' ideas. :) I threw out my old tattered artificial tree last year, with the thought of buying a new one this year. But my budget is tight, and I just can't justify spending $100+ on a tree. So I was googling substitutes for Christmas trees, and found yours. I love it, so I'm stealing the idea! I think I may even have an old wooden stepladder in the storage building somewhere. If not, there are plenty of other ones lying about. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay ~ I'm so glad you're feeling inspired! I hear ya ~ who wants to spend $100+ on a tree at Christmas time anyway? I bet you have some friends that wouldn't mind loaning you a ladder if you can't locate yours. :) Good luck ~ I would love to see photos! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. That "platform" can come down...it's not essential to the structure of the ladder!!! It's for holding a can of paint or a paint tray. I would take it off for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Charles ~ Glad you and Dee got to see it up close. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Janice ~ we're loving it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kelly ~ I'm happy to share. I'm glad you like the ladder "tree" ~ we've really enjoyed something different for a change. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy ~ thanks for your input. I might have some explaining to do if I took the paint can ledge off the ladder ~ since we'll be using it as a ladder again as soon as Christmas is over. I kind of like the quirkiness of it anyway and am trying to drum up something clever in my head to prop up there. Any ideas? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A teeny manger scene or Santa and reindeer

      Delete
  9. I love your Ladder Christmas Tree!
    Your blog is great... I was sold at your simple tag header. I'm your newest follower!
    Susan www.homeroad.net
    Great to follow you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...