Friday, November 4, 2011

"No Assembly Required" ~ Wine Glass Holder

 

I love repurposing items ~ especially when there's "No Assembly Required."  Recently, I posted an idea reusing an old rake head as a wine glass holder.  Read more about it here.  To my delight and surprise, the feedback has been overwhelming.  I think the interest, in part, stems from the fact it was repurposed from something quite common and ordinary.  The rake idea requires little effort to transform it from it's original identity.  


Funny how you can see an item over and over again and one day look at it in a completely different light.  Such was the case with this vintage "Standard" rubber stamp holder (say that real fast ten times).  I lucked upon it during my recent trip to Round Top for a mere $10.



I've had my eye on one of these for a long time, likely because I remember my dad having one on the desk in his office when I was a little girl.  I always admired it ~ it reminded me of a mini whimsical carousel.  I would play with it and pretend the stamps were little horses, gracefully taking their riders for a spin.  Practically, I had been looking for one because I had several stamps that I wanted to display.  



I wasn't needing another wine glass holder, but just last evening, I glanced at this simple utilitarian object and saw it as one.  The best part about it is there's "No Assembly Required!" 



All I had to do was plop in the stemware.  I'm in love with this idea!  I hope you find it as charming as I do.  :)



The stamp holders aren't quite as common an item as the rakes, however, they can still be spotted lurking around antique stores and flea markets and are also easily found on Ebay and Etsy.

Hoping today is a happy fall Friday for you!

P.S.  Thank you to the wonderful ladies from the Coppell Alumnae Panhellinic Association.  I enjoyed being with you last night and enjoyed sharing about design, holiday inspiration and Tattered Style.  Thanks for bearing with me and my nervous jitters.  It looks like we may be planning a girl's trip to Canton soon.  Can't wait!!!

12 comments :

  1. I love the way God wired your brain. You see things in a whole new light! Terrific, just terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn, I saw one of those at Round Top a couple trips ago and passed on it. Not sure how to re-use it. I am buying the next one I see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be on the lookout for another one Lori ~ I run across them pretty frequently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fabulous idea that is putting my brain into overload -- which is a good thing! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathleen ~ Yay!!! Makes me happy you are inspired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto to what 'Bless Your Neighbor' said above...I also love the way God wired your brain. I remember these rubber stamp holders from my office days in the 1970s and 80s. Pure awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annie ~ somehow I missed this comment. What does that have to say about the way my brain is wired? Haha! I do love these old holders. I ran across another one at an antique store during Christmas and gave it to my oldest son as a gift. He loved it!

    xo Dana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome!!! I love all the old things too. I collect old kitchen things and old office things. I have had a Standard rubber stamp holder just sitting on my fridge for years and have wanted to do something creative for today with it but couldnt come up with something. i tried cookie cutters...but this wine rack is great!!! how did you get the glasses to stay straight? mine keep tipping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you already have a stamp holder. I had to bend the prongs a little bit so they would keep the stems straight. Hope this helps!

      :) Dana

      Delete
  9. love the old rake wine rack

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...