Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Gum Machine Lamp


A number of years ago my mom owned an antique shop filled to the brim with endless amounts of wonderful old treasures.  I've often entertained the thought of owning my own store as well.  Not necessarily a bona fide antique store, but one filled with funky, eclectic, wonderful things ~ things that have the ability to make a house feel like a home. 

During those years, I didn't often have the opportunity to be around the store.  But when I was in town, I would frequent the shop and peruse its aisles, exploring the nooks and crannies of the shop to see what interesting things had taken up residence.  I had my eye on an old vintage gum machine that had been perched on a shelf.  Sadly, a time came when Mimi decided to close the store down but she remembered I had an affection for the gum machine.


And one day to my surprise, she presented it to me (thanks Mimi) and ~   


I filled it with oodles and oodles of gum ~ and turned it into a lamp.  Here's a quick step-by-step how to:
 

1) I had a lamp base made from wood, and had it wired to fit the gum machine.
2)  I fitted it with a lampshade made from a nubby linen fabric.


3) I opted to trim out the shade using all the colors of the gum pieces ~ why not?  A little playful and fun.


I know things are just things.  But I do appreciate the way that some things, like lamps, can make a space feel cozy and warm.  For me this bubble gum lamp does simply that ~ and it's funky and functional all wrapped up in one little package.  Do you have a favorite lamp conversion story?

4 comments :

  1. Where on earth would you have a lamp base like that made? I wouldn't even know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina ~ in all the craziness of life, I missed this. I had the base and wiring done at a lamp makers shop. You can google "Lamp and Lampshade Makers" for your area and you should be able to find someone that can help you out. Hope this helps and I'm sorry again for the delayed response.

      Dana

      Delete
  2. I remember one of this on Brenda´s little home in Rhoda's show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really ~ I don't believe I ever noticed it. I'll have to try and find an old episode. Thanks for letting me know about it.

      :) Dana

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...